PBA Draft Rumors: Ray Parks is not joining the 2018 draft?

(c) PBA Media Bureau

Yesterday, Bobby Ray Parks Jr. made it official that he will play for Alab Pilipinas in the 2018 season of Asean Basketball League. 

So, does that mean he will not join the 2018 PBA draft?

Not really. He can follow the footsteps of Christian Standhardinger who finished the 2017 season of ABL before joining the PBA in this year's Commissioner's Cup.

This was the answer of Ray when asked about his draft plans. "I trust his (Charlie Dy) decision on what is best for me. I’m definitely excited for the PBA, whether I put my name now or not. But I know for a fact that sooner or later, I’ll be there."

Mr. Dy is the agent of Bobby and also the owner of Alab. 

Parks and Charlie will have a lot of time to ponder because the deadline for draft application is still on December 3. 

This is amusing though because Parks is already 25 years old. Financially wise, Parks postponing his entrance to the PBA will also push the availability of big contracts. 

He already proved himself in the ABL for two seasons. I am pretty sure Parks is also excited to see how he fairs in the PBA.

So, what could be the reason not to join the upcoming draft?

It could be the fact that he is the undoubted #1 pick for this year, which means Columbian Dyip and the league will be bashed again if Dyip will not draft him.

I can see Parks feeling uneasy about the possibility of playing for the lowliest franchise in the league. 

Comments