2019 PBA Com. Cup QF: Predictions - San Miguel VS Nortport, TNT VS Alaska

(c) PBA Media Bureau

I will be man enough to say that I underestimated the Alaska Aces. I forgot the fact that they are an experienced playoff team with a big chip on their shoulders.

On the other hand, I admired Northport for battling back against San Miguel. Although, it was obvious during the game that there is a big gap in talent level.

So, we are down to two do-or-die games, which team will win?

Let us see.

NORTHPORT-SAN MIGUEL
I enjoyed this game. Even when the Beermen was in command up to the latter part of the third quarter, the game was still juicy with great sets and ploys. Now, what did I learn in the game?

That Prince Ibeh is the key for the Batang Pier. It is not about his scoring but about the fact that he is the anchor of their defense. With him and Tautuaa on the floor, they eat up a lot of space and a lot of passing lanes that totally change the flow of the Beermen.

Even on the offensive end, his presence magnetizes one of the giants/bigs of the Beermen that will open up the paint.

Now, the first game also told me that the Beermen has a lot of weapons to throw towards the Batang Pier. Just like the combination of Santos and Ross.

But, I actually think the coaching staff of Northport can get creative to form some weapons too.

So, which team will win?

I am going with Batang Pier. Even though the papers, the numbers and even what I saw in the first game points toward the Beermen as the logical choice, I think Northport will win. They need to play a perfect game to do it and with what I saw in them during the game, they can deliver.

TNT-ALASKA
I was really surprised that Alaska dominated game 1. That was not what I expected. The key was the way they frustrated Terrence Jones. They forced Terrence to 19 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 7 turnovers, 46% FG and no connection from beyond the arc.

Actually, even the locals were frustrated with the defense of Alaska. Now, once Terrence was out of his rhythm, the whole offense of TNT followed. 

I think that plan can be repeated in the do-or-die game which speaks a lot how risky the position of TNT is. Now, the outside shooting of Alaska in game 1 did not even click. What if they start to hit those long bombs in this do-or-die game?

It will boil down to, can TNT make the right adjustments? 

I think, they will. Although, I am expecting a tight game. I am going with TNT.

Comments