2020 PBA Preseason Team Power Ranking: Are the SMC teams still at the top?

 





Even though IATF has not given the green light for the PBA to conduct a tournament bubble, we are positive that it will happen as scheduled.

So, to hype it up, let us make our team power ranking, a few weeks before the resumption of the league. I rank them according to the likelihood that they will win the championship.

#12 Blackwater bossing
They do not have a clear franchise player. Maurice Shaw will be fascinating to watch because he is a rookie but that is also the reason for not believing in this team because they have trusted a rookie. Also, I do not think they will have 48 minutes of competent play in their point guard position.

#11 NLEX Road Warriors
I think coach Yeng Guaio is the perfect coach for this bubble tournament but I do not think he has enough firepower to get the title. I also believed that competing in this conference may not be the primary goal of their team this year.

#10 Alaska Aces
Losing Noy Baclao and Joachim Thoss really weakens the frontline rotation of Alaska. I also fear that they still do not have enough defense-breaker type of players for 48-minutes of a game. Unless coach Jeffrey Cariaso finds a way to double the value of this team. Or Abu Tratter suddenly breakout and proved that he is a starting-caliber center in this league. 

#9 Phoenix Fuel Masters
The fact that I  am putting the team that ended up with the best record after the elimination round of the 2019 Philippine Cup at #9 is a little bit strange. If Calvin Abueva is really a different player and the chemistry of the team has improved, I committed a huge mistake.

#8 Columbian Dyip / Terra Firma Dyip
Can CJ Perez still increase his production of 20.8 points, 7.4 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 1.9 steals, 45% FG and 33% 3FG per game? If he can, Columbian could be a dark horse in this tournament, especially with the arrival of Roosevelt Adams.

#7 Meralco Bolts
If there is an assurance that Raymond Almazan will not be injured in the tournament, Meralco may have  I say of being in the top 3. Unfortunately, that is not the reality of their situation. Although, they have interesting guards and wings that they can use to allure another team to give up a bigman.

#6 San Miguel Beermen
In terms of plain star power, San Miguel is still top 3. But I think, missing Fajardo will totally change the way they play, especially in the playoffs. Also, there is a chance that Chris Ross may not be able to join the bubble. 

#5 Magnolia Hotshots
My biggest problem with the Hotshots is fact that their defense is still anchored to a 38 years old Marc Pingris and 43 years old Rafi Reavis. Just one of them losing around 25% of their value and Magnolia's defense could crumble. If that happens, I do not think their offense that lacks consistent spacing will overcome it.

#4 Rain or Shine Elasto Painters
In the bubble, I believed chemistry will be a huge factor and I think the Painters is #1 in that aspect. I am also intrigued if they have found something in their plethora of rookies. And I trust their budding one-two punch, Rey Nambatac and Javee Mocon, to be better.

#3 Brgy. Ginebra San Miguel
I think, the five of Tenorio-Pringle-Thompson-Devance-Aguilar can battle any five in terms of firepower and skill level. But  I think, we are underrating the effect of not having Greg Slaughter and losing their sixth man, live fans support. Also, I wonder if they have enough spacing to maximize their offense.

#2 Northport Batang Pier
The team with the best player in the league should be top 3, easy. Other than Standhardinger, I actually think that the Batang Pier may have the most number of players that want to prove something. I am talking about Kevin Ferrer, Sean Anthony, Robert Bolick, Kelly Nabong and Nico Elorde.

#1 TNT Ka Tropa
The number of heartaches in the past few seasons will strengthen this team. Now, they also added a star center that they lacked in the past. The five of Castro-Pogoy-Parks-Rosario-Erram could be the most complete five this year. Losing Kelly Williams will sting but they did find a usable Chris Javier to replace him.

Comments