PBA Team Power Ranking 1.0: Ginebra is the favorite?

 


There is question in my mind that the upcoming Philippine Cup could be the most important tournament in the PBA this century. 

So, let me give my initial power ranking of the teams on the likelihood that they win the championship! Of course, Terrafirma Blackwater are not included because they are not in the PBA to win the chip.

#10 Phoenix

Without Matthew Wright, there is no way Phoenix will be able to win the crown. I am still hoping that Phoenix will find a way to keep him.

#9 Rain or Shine

I am a big fan of coach Chris Gavina but without a massive roster improvement and with the impending departure of Javee Mocon, it is hard to see Rain or Shine having a deep playoff run.

#8 Northport

So, Northport is still standing pat with their decision of not trading Greg Slaughter. That means they have traded Christian Standhardinger for free. Still though, they have an MVP candidate in Bolick and potential superstar in Malonzo.

#7 NLEX

The potential return of Kiefer Ravena will be a superb boost for the chances of the NLEX Road Warriors. Although, I still think that they are lacking in firepower to be a top contender.

#6 TNT

With the debacle of coach Chot Reyes in Gilas and the uncertainty surrounding the situation of Mikey Williams, I cannot put TNT on the top 5, for now.

#5 Converge

I am liking the depth of this team and I do believe that their excellent defensive performance last Governors' Cup is replicable this year. I also think that they will have better focus and mindset this season.

#4 San Miguel

I still see the roster of San Miguel as the most talented in the entire league but I still cannot trust coach Leo Austria to lead them to the championship. But, they will catapult to #1 if Junemar Fajardo returns to his Kraken form.

#3 Meralco

It is easy to downplay Meralco because of their failures in winning in the Finals. Nevertheless, they will enter this tournament with an intact line-up and a young roster that can improve further.

#2 Magnolia

There defeat at the hands of Meralco make it hard for me to trust them as the #1 in this ranking. They did not make any big change which could back fire this year.

#1 Ginebra

They have the second best line-up and they will enter the tournament with the best morale. With Stanley Pringle returning, Ginebra will start the tournament at full power.

Comments