2023 PBA Draft Analysis: Is San Miguel the right team for Kyt Jimenez?

 


Kyt Jimenez experienced a profound sense of relief when San Miguel chose him in the PBA Rookie Draft. The Beermen selected him in the ninth round, as the 76th overall pick, a momentous occasion for the former Perpetual player.

For Jimenez, this was a lifelong dream come true. He expressed his feelings, saying, "It feels like I'm in heaven because I've been dreaming about this since I was a child. I never expected that I'll be picked by San Miguel. I was holding back tears when I heard my name even if it was already near the end. That is the Lord's will."

Jimenez initially played for the Altas in the NCAA. However, his popularity surged after featuring for Mav's Phenomenal Basketball in a series of exhibition games showcased on YouTube and Facebook. The ponytailed guard has a significant online following with over 180,000 subscribers on YouTube and nearly 300,000 combined followers on his social media accounts.

Seeking to elevate his game, Jimenez joined the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League, where he achieved a historic quadruple-double with the Sarangani Marlins in October 2022.

Although Jimenez entered the draft as a projected late selection, his prospects dwindled as teams continued to pass on him. He maintained a positive mindset throughout the process, stating, "I focused on my mindset that whether I get drafted or not, at least I did my role as a player, I tried to go as far as my capabilities could take me. I play because I want to inspire the youth, those who want to play in the big leagues. I can see that I'm helping the basketball community."

Fortunately, San Miguel eventually chose Jimenez. Joining San Miguel presents a significant opportunity for him, as he will have the chance to learn from seasoned PBA stars like Terrence Romeo, June Mar Fajardo, Marcio Lassiter, Chris Ross, and Vic Manuel.

Jimenez expressed his deep gratitude to his fans who continued to support him regardless of when he was selected in the draft. He acknowledged their unwavering encouragement and enthusiasm.

So, is San Miguel Beermen the right team for Kyt?

I do not think so. At the end of the day, he will need to prove that he deserves one of the 15 roster spots and the Beermen are loaded in the guard position that it is hard to expect him to get one.

Comments