(c) PBA Media Bureau
We just finished the 76th to 100th wherein you saw some grizzled veterans, young ballers and even James Yap.
Now, let us continue the rundown by presenting to you the 51st to 75th ranked players.
Remember, the players were scored according to these four areas:
Scoring (S) - 30
Primarily, this is the ability of the player to score. Their points per game were the primary statistics that was scrutinized but we also give a huge weight on the efficiency of the player. We also factor in the fact that there are a hundred ways to score, so the more ways a player score efficiently will also increase his points in this area.
Defense (D) - 30
Defense represents 50% of the game for a player. This score will take into account the ability of the player to stop someone, man-to-man. Now, the defense is not all about man-to-man but also about the capacity of a player to work in the defensive scheme of a team. Enjoined to this area is the ability of the player to get rebounds and to help his team control the boards.
Offense (O) - 25
Scoring is the only goal of offense but the other factors that will pave the way for good scoring opportunities will reside in this area. Primarily, this is about the ability of the player to break down defenses and make plays for his teammates. Added into this is the intelligence of the player in making the right plays, reads and positions in helping out the team take a good shot.
Intangibles (I) - 15
There are four other elements of a player that basically form this criterion. They are leadership, chemistry, clutch and health. Those four are not part of the first three but actually elevates a player. LA Tenorio is not as valuable as the Tenorio that we know today without his ability to command and his 100% health status.
#75 Sonny Thoss: S(13) D(14) O(13) I(12)
#74 Anthony Semerad: S(13) D(16) O(14.5) I(8.5)
#73 Art Dela Cruz: S(15) D(16) O(15) I(6)
#72 Mike Tolomia: S(12.5) D(15) O(15) I(9.5)
#71 Jeron Teng: S(14.5) D(15) O(14.5) I(8)
One of the reasons why Alaska is still a perennial contender is the stability of Sonny Thoss. He does not have the physical ability and skill level to play 30 quality minutes anymore but the 15-20 good minutes that he brings is enough, especially in import-laden conferences.
Anthony Semerad has built his game as a 3-and-D player. He shot 40.9% from beyond the arc last season and has shown the effort to go through screens on the defensive end.
If my memory serves me right, Art Dela Cruz had missed more than a season in total due to injuries. Ginebra took the risk of trading for him and with what he showed in the 2018 Gov. Cup (7.3 Points, 2.0 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 50%3FG per game), they may have made an excellent decision.
Other than Baser Amer, Tolomia should also be sad with Meralco drafting of another point guard in Trevis Jackson. Tolomia had shown good qualities on both ends of the court, including the willingness to take hits inside.
Jeron Teng is one of the hidden young studs in the league. That is the result of missing an entire conference due to an accident. Nonetheless, his size, strength and ability and willingness to go the rim is legit.
#70 Chris Exciminiano: S(8) D(22.5) O(11) I(11)
#69 Aldrech Ramos: S(13) D(19) O(14.5) I(7)
#68 Kevin Alas: S(20) D(15) O(12) I(6.5)
#67 Jeff Chan: S(14) D(14) O(15.5) I(10.5)
#66 Jewel Ponferada: S(14.5) D(17) O(15) I(8.5)
The value of Chris Exciminiano is still on the defensive end. He is not elite in one specific facet of defense but he is almost good in each one.
Aldrech Ramos is one of the few credible 3-and-D stretch 4s in the league. His length and fluidity help him a lot on the defensive end.
Kevin Alas is nearing Art Dela Cruz' territory in terms of the length of court time that he has missed due to injuries. Just like Art, his play on the court will tell you of how high his potential is.
Before being a role player in Ginebra, Jeff Chan was the running partner of Matthew Wright in the 2018 Philippine Cup where he averaged 13.7 points, 3.9 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 38% 3FG per game.
Jewel Ponferada has slowly grown on me as a pretty good player. He may not score that much but he is a good offensive grinder because of his good screening and positioning.
#65 Kevin Racal: S(11.5) D(21) O(15) I(7.5)
#64 Kevin Ferrer: S(14.5) D(15) O(17) I(8.5)
#63 Willie Wilson: S(10) D(18.5) O(14.5) I(12.5)
#62 Paul Zamar: S(18) D(15) O(14.5) I(8)
#61 Kelly Nabong: S(15) D(20) O(14.5) I(6)
Majority of the Alaska fans are not that happy with the huge minutes that Racal had been receiving from coach Alex Compton. Racal shot 38% or better in two of the three conferences last year.
Maybe it seems like Ferrer is already a veteran but he will only turn 26 in March 26. It seems like coach Tim is taking it patiently with him by using him as a role player last season.
Willie Wilson remained one of the most underrated players last season. His value though was pretty obvious, especially on the defensive end where he can switch to defend any position.
Paul Zamar was given an opportunity and he runs with it. Paul averaged 10.1 points, 4.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 38% 3FG per game in the 2018 Governors Cup.
Yes, Kelly Nabong is a head case but it is hard to question that he is actually a starting caliber center. In the 2018 Philippine Cup where he played for Northport, he averaged 13.5 points, 11 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 31% 3FG per game.
#60 Anjo Caram: S(14) D(18) O(13.5) I(10.5)
#59 Aljon Mariano: S(15) D(20) O(12) I(9)
#58 Rome Dela Rosa: S(14) D(20.5) O(13) I(9.5)
#57 Rafi Reavis: S(8) D(25) O(14.5) I(10)
#56 Jared Dillinger: S(15) D(16) O(16.5) I(10)
If there is a best back-up PG award last season, Caram should have won it. Caram's defense is his biggest selling point. He is one of the few who takes advantage of his small body with his quick slippage against screens.
Aljon Mariano is basically the partner of Kevin Ferrer as the role-playing forwards of Ginebra. Mariano is the one who plays more as a bigman as he seldom attempting three-pointers.
Rome Dela Rosa has taken the role of a premium stopper in the rotation of Magnolia. With his body and quickness, Dela Rosa has the ability to defend different types of players.
Jared Dillinger is not his younger self already but he can still do magnificent things in the court. He emphasized his outside shot last season and helped him knocked more than 1.3 three-pointers per game.
Reavis is the key to the defense of Magnolia. His ability to protect the rim, defend in the post and even stop fellow bigs in the perimeter has made Magnolia capable of battling San Miguel and Ginebra.
#55 Allein Maliksi: S(22) D(15) O(13) I(7.5)
#54 John Pinto: S(16.5) D(17) O(15) I(9)
#53 Kelly Williams: S(17) D(18) O(12) I(11)
#52 Jackson Corpuz: S(19.5) D(17) O(13.5) I(8)
#51 KG Canaleta: S(17.5) D(15) O(17) I(9.5)
Maliksi was consistently inconsistent in the 2018 season. It was not shocking to me that he was an inefficient scorer but at least his playmaking was better than what he showed in 2017.
John Pinto just had his breakout season where he manufactured 11.6 points, 3.9 rebounds, 6.3 assists and 65% 3FG per game in the Governors Cup.
Kelly Williams may not be the MVP-caliber player that he once was but he is still one of the best role-playing bigman in the league. His focus now is on grabbing rebounds and defending pretty well.
You may not know Jackson Corpuz because he is playing in Columbian Dyip. He is an athletic forward who is efficient in scoring and is capable of making big defensive plays.
KG Canaleta is not the dunker that he used to be but his outside shooting is still very good. He shot better than 35% and connected on more than 2 three-pointers per game in the first two conferences.
#59 Aljon Mariano: S(15) D(20) O(12) I(9)
#58 Rome Dela Rosa: S(14) D(20.5) O(13) I(9.5)
#57 Rafi Reavis: S(8) D(25) O(14.5) I(10)
#56 Jared Dillinger: S(15) D(16) O(16.5) I(10)
If there is a best back-up PG award last season, Caram should have won it. Caram's defense is his biggest selling point. He is one of the few who takes advantage of his small body with his quick slippage against screens.
Aljon Mariano is basically the partner of Kevin Ferrer as the role-playing forwards of Ginebra. Mariano is the one who plays more as a bigman as he seldom attempting three-pointers.
Rome Dela Rosa has taken the role of a premium stopper in the rotation of Magnolia. With his body and quickness, Dela Rosa has the ability to defend different types of players.
Jared Dillinger is not his younger self already but he can still do magnificent things in the court. He emphasized his outside shot last season and helped him knocked more than 1.3 three-pointers per game.
Reavis is the key to the defense of Magnolia. His ability to protect the rim, defend in the post and even stop fellow bigs in the perimeter has made Magnolia capable of battling San Miguel and Ginebra.
#55 Allein Maliksi: S(22) D(15) O(13) I(7.5)
#54 John Pinto: S(16.5) D(17) O(15) I(9)
#53 Kelly Williams: S(17) D(18) O(12) I(11)
#52 Jackson Corpuz: S(19.5) D(17) O(13.5) I(8)
#51 KG Canaleta: S(17.5) D(15) O(17) I(9.5)
Maliksi was consistently inconsistent in the 2018 season. It was not shocking to me that he was an inefficient scorer but at least his playmaking was better than what he showed in 2017.
John Pinto just had his breakout season where he manufactured 11.6 points, 3.9 rebounds, 6.3 assists and 65% 3FG per game in the Governors Cup.
Kelly Williams may not be the MVP-caliber player that he once was but he is still one of the best role-playing bigman in the league. His focus now is on grabbing rebounds and defending pretty well.
You may not know Jackson Corpuz because he is playing in Columbian Dyip. He is an athletic forward who is efficient in scoring and is capable of making big defensive plays.
KG Canaleta is not the dunker that he used to be but his outside shooting is still very good. He shot better than 35% and connected on more than 2 three-pointers per game in the first two conferences.

Comments
Post a Comment