2018 Top 100 Players: 26th to 50th!

(c) PBA Media Bureau

We are done with half of our ranking! If you have any opinion about the ranking, feel free to give your comments!

Today, we will continue by revealing our 26th to 50th best PBA players! 

Do not forget, the players were scored according to these four areas:

Scoring (S) - 30 
Primarily, this is the ability of the player to score. Their points per game were the primary statistics that was scrutinized but we also give a huge weight on the efficiency of the player. We also factor in the fact that there are a hundred ways to score, so the more ways a player score efficiently will also increase his points in this area.

Defense (D) - 30
Defense represents 50% of the game for a player. This score will take into account the ability of the player to stop someone, man-to-man. Now, the defense is not all about man-to-man but also about the capacity of a player to work in the defensive scheme of a team. Enjoined to this area is the ability of the player to get rebounds and to help his team control the boards. 

Offense (O) - 25
Scoring is the only goal of offense but the other factors that will pave the way for good scoring opportunities will reside in this area. Primarily, this is about the ability of the player to break down defenses and make plays for his teammates. Added into this is the intelligence of the player in making the right plays, reads and positions in helping out the team take a good shot. 

Intangibles (I) - 15
There are four other elements of a player that basically form this criterion. They are leadership, chemistry, clutch and health. Those four are not part of the first three but actually elevates a player. LA Tenorio is not as valuable as the Tenorio that we know today without his ability to command and his 100% health status. 



#50 Cliff Hodge: S(14.5) D(19) O(15) I(10.5)
#49 Ranidel de Ocampo: S(18) D(16) O(15.5) I(10)
#48 Justin Melton: S(14) D(21) O(15) I(9.5)
#47 JVee Casio: S(17.5) D(12) O(18) I(12)
#46 Simon Enciso: S(17.5) D(16) O(17) I(9.5)

Cliff Hodge was bombarded again by a lot of injuries last season. That led him to be inconsistent but the good qualities that he showed in the past are still there.

Ranidel de Ocampo played nine elimination games for the entirety of the 2018 season. His play in the court was also underwhelming but knowing that he was limited by injuries, we will be patient with him.

Justin Melton had been one of the defensive weapons of coach Chito Victolero. His defense was so reliable that he even shadowed Justin Brownlee. Other than his defense, Justin also averaged more than 2.4 dimes per game in each conference.

JVee Casio did not get the same amount of playing time that he received in 2017 because of the breakout season of Chris Banchero. Nonetheless, his shooting and playmaking were still there.

The backcourt partner of Banchero also managed to have an excellent season. Simon Enciso produced 11.2 points, 3.8 assists and 39% 3FG per game in the 2018 Governors Cup.

#45 Marc Pingris: S(13) D(23) O(14.5) I(10)
#44 Beau Belga: S(18) D(17) O(15.5) I(10.5)
#43 Jerramy King: S(22) D(15) O(14) I(10)
#42 Sol Mercado: S(15) D(23) O(15) I(9.5)
#41 Michael DiGregorio: S(22.5) D(14) O(16) I(10)

Pingris missed almost the entire 2018 season. In the 10 games that he played in the first conference, Pinoy Sakuragi was still in him. He averaged 6.2 points, 9.6 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 47% FG per game.

Beau Belga remained to be one of the most skilled bigman in the league. His well-rounded skillset was pretty obvious with what he showed in the 2018 Governors Cup,  averaging 11.0 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 61% FG and 52% 3FG per game. 

If we will be strict and only account the statistics of the players, King should be much higher in this ranking. In the two import-laden conferences, he manufactured more than 14 points, 3 assists, 4 rebounds and 1 three-pointer per game. 

Sol Mercado is an unsung hero for Ginebra. Do not forget that he was once a franchise-caliber player but he accepted the role to be the back-up guard of Ginebra. I still cannot forget the one conference where he led the league in points and assists.

Blackwater is building a good reputation for developing players. One of their key products was Michael DiGregorio. Michael was one of the best shooters last season, averaging more than 1.6 three-pointers and 33% 3FG in each conference. 

#40 Alex Mallari: S(14.5) D(24.5) O(14.5) I(9.5)
#39 JR Quinahan: S(17) D(19.5) O(14.5) I(13)
#38 RR Pogoy: S(20) D(19.5) O(15) I(9.5)
#37 Chris Tiu: S(21) D(12) O(19.5) I(12)
#36 Moala Tautuaa: S(19) D(21) O(16) I(8.5)

Alex Mallari is one of the most underrated players in the league. Just the fact that he is the tallest starting caliber point guard in the league makes him special. He has also the ability to defend three positions, competently. 

JR Quinahan is still relevant in the league, thanks to his willingness to grow his skillset. Last season, he became a consistent passer, averaging more than 2 assists per game in each conference. 

RR Pogoy was so inefficient last season that he may have been a negative for TNT. He shot 43% or worse in the field each conference and shot worse than 29% in each conference. The decision-making of Pogoy is one of his best assets.

The farewell season of Chris Tiu may have ended up as his best season in his career. He averaged more than 12 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 42% 3FG per game in the first two conferences.

Moala Tautuaa has failed to meet the hype that he had when he entered the league but at least, he is still one of the starting caliber centers in the league. The most underrated aspect of his game is his defense where he showed the ability to switch and help pretty well. 

#35 Rashawn McCarthy: S(21.5) D(16.5) O(18) I(8.5)
#34 Larry Fonacier: S(20.5) D(15) O(17.5) I(12)
#33 Jason Perkins: S(22) D(15) O(17) I(11)
#32 Mac Belo: S(19) D(20) O(16) I(10.5)
#31 Troy Rosario: S(23) D(16) O(14) (12.5)

The Christian Standhardinger trade for Kia/Columbian may not be a total loss for the franchise because of the play of McCarthy. The most amazing part of McCarthy's game for me is his playmaking and ability to find his open teammates.

Larry Fonacier is still balling under coach Yeng Guiao. Fonacier is known for his shooting but his playmaking and passing had been upgraded. He averaged more than 2.4 assists in each conference. 

Yes, Kiefer Ravena and Christian Standhardinger are way better rookies than Perkins but we should not underrate what he did in his rookie season. The bread and butter of his game are his positioning and efficiency. If he can further magnify that, Perkins will be one of the most unique weapons in the league. 

Mac Belo had a tantalizing Philippine Cup and then became a role-player in the last two conferences. In the Philippine Cup, Belo was one of the top 15 players, producing 15.8 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.6 steals and 41% FG per game.

Rosario is suffering from the below-average coaching of TNT last season. Coach Nash Racela failed to maximize his talent last season but I am excited to see him under the very analytically-driven offense that they have now.

#30 Maverick Ahanmisi: S(21) D(19) O(16.5) I(10)
#29 Chris Ross: S(12.5) D(25) O(19.5) I(12)
#28 Raymond Almazan: S(22.5) D(24) O(16.5) I(6)
#27 Andy Barroca: S(18.5) D(22) O(17) I(12.5)
#26 Jio Jalalon: S(17.5) D(20.5) O(22) I(11.5)

Maverick Ahanmisi failed to lock-in himself as the best guard of the Elasto Painters franchise last season. At the very least, he established himself as a reliable scorer, averaging double-digit points in each conference, and a capable perimeter defender. 

Chris Ross inefficiency dragged him from the top 25. He shot worse than 39% in the first two conferences and averaged more than 2 turnovers per game. Nonetheless, he is still an elite thief, very good rebounder and excellent passer.

It is good to hear from Raymond Almazan that his relationship to the franchise is now okay, especially to their coaching staff. Almazan is a unique center who is the key for the Elasto Painters in beating the powerhouses.

Mark Barroca was the best local player of Magnolia in their Governors Cup conquest. In their finals series against Alaska, Barroca produced 11.0 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.8 steals per game. He can do a lot on the offensive end and he already established himself as a reliable defender.

With our measurement, Jio Jalalon is already a better player than Barroca because of one area, Offense. In the last two conferences, Jio averaged more than 4.9 assists per game, showing the ability to make plays out of scraps. 


Comments

NBA Trades: Who Really Won?

Loading trade...