(c) PBA Media Bureau
Now that three weeks of PBA basketball is done and all the first round picks have played, except Bobby Ray Parks Jr. A re-draft is imminent.
So, now that we saw them play in the league, how would that change their draft position?
Let us see.
#1 Columbian - Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (#2 in real life)
#2 Blackwater - CJ Perez (#1 in real life)
These two picks are interrelated. I do understand the reason why Dyip chose the 2nd best prospect last year. And I think Perez is showing that he is a legit franchise player that Columbian can build around.
Although his play also showed me that the difference of Perez' ceiling and Parks is really huge. I do not think Perez will ever be a top 8 PBA player. Parks has the talent to be, not only top 8, but the best.
That is a huge difference. I am pretty sure you will trade the 9th best PBA player plus more assets to get hold of a top 3 player.
#3 North Port - Robert Bollick (#3 in real life)
Sometimes, having the easiest pick is not that bad. Bollick had shown glimpses of being a capable #2 beside Stanley Pringle. If he can sustain his 38% 3FG, his playing time will also be stable.
#4 Blackwater - Paul Desiderio (#4 in real life)
I will not change this one because Blackwater has a different motive in securing Paul. They want to solidify their connection to the UP community and we need to respect that because this is a commercial league, at the end of the day.
#5 Meralco - Abu Tratter (#7 in real life)
At this point, Tratter is not a top 5 prospect of the 2018 draft. But the huge need of Meralco in their frontline will outway the talent of a top 5 prospect who cannot play the center position! Tratter produced enticing average numbers in their first four games with 15.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 2.0 steals and 59% FG.
#6 Rain or Shine - Javee Mocon (#6 in real life)
Javee Mocon has put up amazing numbers but you should not anoint him as the steal of the draft, yet. He is averaging 10.4 points and 9.8 rebounds per game but he is shooting 38% in the field and 28% from beyond the arc.
#7 Blackwater - Michael Calisaan (#10 in real life)
I do not expect Calisaan to be an impactful rookie because Magnolia has reliable forwards. But, I do saw potential in him that Blackwater could have banked on in making this pick.
#8 Rain or Shine - Kris Porter (#16 in real life)
It was really disappointing that Porter falls to #16 in real life when he clearly showed the ability to stretch the floor. Rain or Shine would be thrilled to have him, knowing their consistency in developing the outside shot of their frontliners.
#9 Alaska - JJay Alejandro (#8 in real life)
Alaska's backcourt is not that strong, especially if we consider the fact that Simon Enciso and Jayvee Casio are injury-prone. Thus, adding Alejandro, who has the potential to be an all-around guard is the right pick here.
#10 Magnolia - Bong Quinto (#14 in real life)
I do not know what happened in real life which resulted in Bong sliding to 14 but at this pick, he is the best prospect available. With what I saw in his first three games in the league, I think he has a pathway to becoming a starting caliber wing.
#11 Columbian - JP Calvo (#11 in real life)
They saw something in him and who am I to disagree with this pick with what Calvo exhibited in his first three weeks in the league. He is averaging 8.4 points, 2.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
#12 Phoenix - Trevis Jackson (#5 in real life)
LA Revilla and RJ Jazul are proven veteran guards but if there is a possibility of an upgrade, Phoenix should take advantage. Jackson would be a perfect fit with the active core of Phoenix and his streaky shooting will be a difference maker.

Comments
Post a Comment