PBA News: Prince Caperal will not be the breakout player of Ginebra


(c) PBA Inquirer

Greg Slaughter is not the only bigman of Ginebra that will miss time this 2020. Joe Devance also went for a stem-cell surgery which will force him to sit out the first few weeks of the season.

That puts the spotlight on Prince Caperal, especially with the fact that Ginebra did not sign a free-agent or traded for a bigman.

According to Joe Devance, Prince is really good and he is just lacking some confidence. And he thinks the guy is poised for a breakout conference.

I do not think he will be the guy that will break out for Ginebra. It is pretty obvious that the best candidate for Ginebra for a breakout year is Japeth Aguilar. Coach Tim Cone said in an interview that Japeth's playing time could reach 40 minutes every game. 

Other than the presence of a better candidate, I also do not think the system of coach Tim will give that much opportunity for Prince. Prince is not that skilled in terms of creating his own shot. So coach Tim will need to run plays through him. And if you have Stanley Pringle, LA Tenorio and Japeth Aguilar, I do not think you have enough plays to give to Prince.

Other than that, I also think that one reserve is even a better candidate than Prince. I am talking about Art Dela Cruz. 

Art averaged 6.3 points, 3.0 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.8 steal, 50% FG and 24% 3FG per game last season. He is a well-rounded player who is very intelligent in making plays. His passing and his handle are at the level of a guard.

Last season was also the healthiest year of Art after his rookie season. With that experience, I expect him to further clean his game. The #1 thing that he must improve is his shooting. If he could be a reliable three-point shooter, it will open up more minutes for him. 

Overall though, Ginebra is a must watch this season because of the departure of Greg Slaughter. Who will step up? We will see. 

Comments

NBA Trades: Who Really Won?

Loading trade...