Coach Tim Cone revealed why Ginebra always loss a lot of games early in a conference



If you are a diehard Ginebra fan, I am pretty sure you have observed that Ginebra had been a slow starter in the era of coach Tim Cone.

Here are their records in the first four games of every conference last year:

Philippine Cup: 2-2
Commissioner's Cup: 2-2
Governors' Cup: 2-2

So, what is the reason behind that?

Here was the explanation by coach Tim Cone himself, in the Coach Unfiltered Podcast of Tiebreakertimes, where he was interviewed by coach Charles Tiu, Anton Altamirano and Paolo Layug. 


We have a reputation of starting slow in conferences. In many ways, I am not happy about it but I'm willing to allow it because I understand that I am not going to battle the players because if you battle the players, all you gonna do is get the frustration... and to me. I always say this to our team, frustration is the absolute worst enemy of a basketball team.

It destroys you. Frustration destroys you mentally because you're distracted with that frustration. It destroys you physically because it deflates your energy. It discourages you, rather than encourages you.

... So what I rather do is I just stay with them. I just try to stay encouraging. I know you are going through hard times guys. I know we are not playing our best basketball. It will come if we stay with what we are doing. If you keep practicing well. I we stay with what we're doing. Lets don't get deviate. Just don't panic. Don't start doing something different if it is not working. 

We know from experience that it works. Now it just a matter of making sure that we are on that path. So that is the attitude we take. And sometimes we go off into a tough start but there is a point at sometimes that I do not need to say it to the players. They know! They know, they like say, darn, this sucks! Losing sucks. We don't want to continue to loss. So, collectively they start to figure out and they wanna pick it up...

The whole key, you just need to read your team and allow them to go through tough times.

Comments

Post a Comment