Both trades that were passed to the trade committee recently, ended up with revisions. The San Miguel-Dyip trade was completed after the Beermen added a 1st.
On the other hand, Meralco ended up adding Bryan Faundo to Baser Amer, to grab Mac Belo.
The decision of the committee to force Faundo into the trade, is a great one. A deeper look into a Belo-Amer swap will tell you that Meralco is way on the upperside compared to Blackwater. In short, I also saw it as one-sided.
With Faundo on the trade, I think it is now a fair one.
It is interesting though that we make a quick comparison of the two trades. The first question is, which is more valuable, Faundo or that 2021 1st of SMB?
We can say that the 2021 1st will probably end up as #11 or #12. Will you trade that for Faundo? Most probably not. But, comparing the value of those two, I think it is right to say that Faundo has at least 75% of the value of that #11 or #12 pick next year.
Now, let us compare the difference on the value of the two trades. Which one is more lopsided, the original CJ Perez trade or the original Mac Belo trade?
In terms of value, I think Terrafirma is losing around 55% in the original trade. While Blackwater is losing around 20%.
In short, Terrafirma was losing more than twice (200%) the value that Blackwater was about to suffer on the original one-on-one exchange.
But, what they received as an addition to the deal was only ahead by around 25% to what Meralco added.
Overall, I think both SMC and MVP were happy with those deals. But, it was becoming obvious once again that the PBA is the league of....

Comments
Post a Comment