UAAP Controversy: Ateneo head coach VS UE head coach, who is RIGHT?



 Here is the transcript of the statements of coach Tab Baldwin and coach Jack Santiago after Ateneo ended the playoff hope of UE.

Coach Tab:


I think there was a lot of nonsense in the media and being spoken from other people in the UAAP coming into this game and I think it certainly affected and distracted the referees. I really felt for the refs today. I think they were under an inordinate amount of pressure and I think they did a really good job under that pressure.

Nonetheless, that’s not what we have referees in the game of basketball for – to put them under that kind of pressure that they were put under today. I know the UAAP doesn’t need me to speak for it, but I’m going to anyway.

On behalf of the UAAP I’m embarrassed for some of the people in our family of this UAAP exerting the kind of pressure they did on the referees and on the commissioner’s office. I think it’s shameful. I think you all know exactly what I mean. I think we need to put it behind us and move forward as quickly as possible and get back to doing what is right for the game of basketball.

When anybody – anybody – does anything to the detriment of this sport, they are immediately my number one enemy. This game has given every single one of us in the sport way, way more than we have given back to it. I think it is shameful when people bring the game into disrepute.

Coach Jack:

We all know naging problema natin – not only sa issue ni Coach Nash – but yung issue kay Momowei, na we got the suspension letter late afternoon yesterday.

When our president learned about that, nag-request ata siya this morning ng emergency meeting with the UAAP Board. We submitted video clips – not only kay Momowei – but also ibang video clips ng other games na for us, hindi naman ganon kabigat ung naging violation ni Momowei during the last game against La Salle.

We showed them the video na may contact, foul talaga, but to give him a mabigat na penalty na mag co-cost ng suspension and not only that, unfair din sa bata kasi he’s leading the ROY [race]. Nakita naman natin sa video na he was reaching for the ball. It so happened nangyayari talaga yun.

May mga instances naman with Diouf na talagang naka close fist siya with the NU game pero hindi ganon kabigat naging penalty niya. In fact kung tama yung memory ko, ang NU nag re-request ng dapat mas mabigat na [penalty].

Nagkaroon ata ng meeting this morning and kumbaga yung request ng President to deepen the penalty nap ag aralan natin muna, na turn down, and then I heard nag resign siya as president ng UAAP Board. Something na ganon.

When the players learned about that sa pre-game talk namin sa dugout, all of a sudden nakita no nalang yung players na they’re putting the tape…

We support the decision of the school president and maybe I just want to take this opportunity to thank the school community for not giving up para sa mga bata. Talagang unfair doon sa mga bata. Alam namin yung hard work ng bata. But of course at the end of the day, we still have a committee nag mag de-decide. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for us.

Source: Naveen Ganglani Twitter Account

OUR TAKE:

Read their statement. One of them is being abstract with his thought. While another provided explanation and even brought to light real instances and potential evidences to his claim.

In handling issues like this, it is much harder to give credence to abstract opinions. Specially if they have the capacity to refute it.

Comments

NBA Trades: Who Really Won?

Loading trade...