PBA Controversy: Ginebra legend talk about the rumored P1.9 million salary of Newsome!

 

 The PBA motoclub continue to be at the center of discussions around the PBA universe. Jayjay Helterbrand of Ginebra is one of its primary members and in one of their most recent episode, he made an interesting claim.

Rico Maierhofer asked him the amount of monthly salary that he deserves in comparison to the rumored P1.9 million of Chris Newsome.

Here is their exchange:

Rico: Comparison ngayon ng Helterbrand at Newsome... P1.9 Million, ano dapat Ang sa iyo?

Jayjay immediately answered P4.6 million. He then checked the current number of years of Chris in the PBA and then provided the following explanation.

JJ: In my 9 years, I won 4 championships. Isang back-to-back. I won multiple BPC. I won multiple PBA All-Stars. And I won an MVP. In 9 years, if you compare my career to his career, I am making P4.6 million.

Do we agree with JJ?

The reasoning of Jayjay is acceptable. The difference in terms of personal accomplishment at that point of their career is huge.

But, I think his math is off and he did not consider the realistic part of negotiation. If contracts are handled that way, does that mean Junemar Fajardo should have a salary that is 5x bigger than that of Newsome, Standhardinger and the others?

Of course not because the financial capacity of the team will be considered too. No matter how great a player is, there is a point that it became too much of an expense for them to handle.

One more thing, Fajardo is not even close to P4.6 million a month. 

Now, if we are going to simply discuss which one will I pay the higher salary at the 9th year of their career, Helterbrand will still be my choice but I do not have a problem with people who will choose Newsome.

Comments